Important Notice

It is not my intention to denigrate Saudi Arabia or its people. It’s like everywhere else, there is good and there is bad. I would rather focus on the unusual and the humourous. Offence is not intended.

Politics
“The country is not perfect. The media cannot be trusted, mistreatment of religious minorities is common and there are some that live in fear.” You can decide for yourself whether that statement is about Saudi Arabia, the UK, or any country for that matter.
Religion

To quote the Joker, “Why can’t we all just get along?”

khalas.
That is all I will say about either subject.

Wednesday 22 November 2006

Driving - The Capitulation

It's been one week. How has my driving changed?

  • I assume the minimum speed limit everywhere is 100 km/h.
  • I’m fifteen rows back at the traffic lights and they go green. I immediately beep my horn.
  • At traffic lights, six inches is the maximum gap between my car and the car in front.
  • I suddenly realise I need to turn left. I turn left from the far right lane whilst beeping my horn.
  • The slow lane is the middle lane, the overtaking lane is the left lane, and the alternative overtaking lane is the right lane. The “I’m in a hurry today” overtaking lane is the hard shoulder.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You've compiled a very usefull list ..may I suggest a title:"Learn How to Drive: Saudi Style"

I am a Saudi, and everytime I think about driving habits of Saudis I conclude to this:
Either they think ther are actually inside a Video Game,
OR
They think they are inside a video game!!

Margrave said...

ha ha! I like the new title and you are right, they DO drive like it's just a video game. They certainly don't seem to realise that they are putting their (and our!) lives at risk.
I know that I subconsiously prepare myself when I am about to leave work and drive home. It's almost like getting ready to go to war!
Safe driving!

Unknown said...

I totally understand.

It didn't surprise me that out of the 9 categories of posts you have -labels-, "Driving" had the largest number of posts in it, even more than the "Ninja" category :-)

Now you are in Riyadh, If you ever had the chance to drive in Jeddah, I guess that number will triple. As my brother calls it: these streets that we have in Jeddah were specifically designed to promote accidents!

Margrave said...

I just cannot imagine how bad the driving must be in Jeddah for it to be worse than Riyadh!
If I had my way I think I'd post about driving every day as every day something happens to me on the roads that makes my blood boil!
If I can get out of here without being in a car accident I'll be delighted... and surprised :-/

Unknown said...

I agree with entropy, it's hell driving here with all those whereabouts. However, that shouldn't keep you from visiting ;). You will see a whole other side of Saudi that you never saw. That's if you don't come on a vacation or a holiday season ... :S ... We get invaded those times and it becomes indifferent :P